Tuesday, February 2

FO: Star Wars fingerless gloves


Finished these on the 31st for my nephew's birthday. They were going to be Batman gloves but I decided Star Wars was easier as it's fairisle not intarsia. Thumbs a little long and top ribbing could have been deeper as it's curling a little, but overall a lovely pattern! Found on Ravelry :)

In other news, got DAK8 up and running on the Mac, no idea if it'll "talk" to a machine as I don't have the cables yet - next month maybe? Going on a two-day course at Metropolitan at the end of this month anyway so hopefully I'll get the basics :)

We did some DBJ at Manor House t'other week (which the Brother KH950i curtailed in spectacularly smoky fashion, when it blew a capacitor!) using my DBJ cheat sheet, which I think I need to update and improve upon. I also want to finish up some MK and HK projects that have been languishing in the sidebar waaaay too long, and start swatching some lovely alpaca I won in September. Despite having had a fairly free weekend, events overtook me as we had to go into Brum to get a DVD box set (also for the nephew) as Coventry is currently without an HMV and Rugby's closed ages ago. Must try harder! This is the year of destash, finish up, tidy up and dejunk the knitting room so that I can decorate it. To that end, there's some stash for sale on Ravelry (I'm steelbreeze). So far nobody's biting at 1p per gramme so I'm going to say "Offers, please!". Postage prices don't help though! :S

Current mood: determined

Thursday, January 28

First world problems

Can anyone explain to me, how I was knitting away on 4 DPNs, and catching up on a bbc drama "Dickensian" - and suddenly, I only have 3 DPNs? I can respace the knitting enough to finish the mitten but it's very annoying, knitting circular on 2 DPNs tends to be tight. So far, the sofa has refused to reveal its secret compartment (where I suspect it has also stored quite a few stitch markers and my favourite sewing up needle). Also, remember the grey marled fingerless gloves I made for my niece a few weeks ago? No idea what happened to the rest of the yarn. It wasn't much, barely more than 5 metres. But where it's got to is beyond me - I'm crocheting a baby blanket with DK oddments and it was a prime candidate, being much too short for anything else.

I reckon we must have elves or something. Grump.

Current mood: annoyed

Sunday, January 24

FO: more mittens and legwarmers


Mittens mostly knitted on the machine, modified from a handknit pattern so I modified the top decreases, as decreasing the handknit way ("K6, k2tog, rep" etc) isn't easy on a machine, especially when knitting tubular. It's very hard to see decreases when both beds are up and thus almost impossible to line the decreases up nicely.


CSM legwarmers for a friend.

Apologies for the dreadful photos, the camera on my 'phone doesn't take great shots at the best of times, and I was too tired to go dig out the digital camera last night. I did also knit a tuck lace scarf in a weird nylony yarn that looked quite nice in the ball but was not great to knit, not to mention it catches on any rough surface. The yarn and the unfinished scarf might well go in the "what was I thinking?" category (ie the bin).

Himself has gone off for a short snowboarding break, so it's just me and Eddie the devilcat until Thursday. Just completed a big round of broken link checking on the needlesofsteel website, and saddened to see the demise of Kidoodles. I always try and find the "new" location of patterns, but sometimes the website in question just isn't archived and the links have to be deleted. Also very sorry to hear of the passing of Clarisse (Knittenkitten), she of the desertknits blog.

Current mood: sad

Tuesday, January 19

FO: grey mittens


Like these so much I'm making a second pair.

Had a frustrating day doing some training for a new role I'm not sure I should be taking on, got to work with a stonking headache, and picked my car up for repair (it has a squeak) and they hadn't fixed it, and I'm £25 down on the deal (paying for courtesy car and petrol). Not a happy bunny today!

Current mood: annoyed

Thursday, January 14

FO: more garter stitch gloves

Belated happy New Year!


More garter stitch gloves - this pair for my niece L, who loved them! She wanted blue, but I didn't have enough blue DK.. B, the nephew, thinks he's too old for such things... I bet he'd like them if they had a Batman theme though!

Most of my projects are stalled - none of them are "tv knitting" - so of course I've started handknitting some simple mittens, which are knit completely in the round with an afterthought thumb. Lovely pattern I found via Ravelry and perfect for watching a film. I had to buy two extra balls of yarn for a zigzag blanket I crocheted last year, and then of course only needed the one ball, so I've 100g of DK to use up.

Got a few things to look forward to in February, not least a DAK8 two-day course at Metropolitan. January seems long, dark and cold - fighting the urge to hibernate. The house feels cramped, because we are having a sort out and seem to have collected rather a lot of cardboard boxes. That, and we missed the rubbish collection on 1st January so have 4 weeks of rubbish which won't all fit in the wheelie bin. We treated ourselves to a pod coffee machine in the sales at Sainsers, so at least I can hibernate with really nice coffee!

Current mood: working