Monday, May 13, 2019

Machine knitting is cheating, you say?

IMG_20190513_081129

Took me most of yesterday to knit this. Turns out there IS no easy way to do partial knitting on a Passap when you are knitting a two-colour tuck stitch pattern. The E6000 manual dismisses it with a single line - "put the second half onto decker combs" - well, this is a double-bed pattern so that's 124 stitches, 62 per bed, and I only own two short decker combs that came with the machine. I ended up employing those, and then circular knitting needles. In hindsight, mixing the method was a mistake because I somehow dropped some stitches on the front between the last decker and the knitting needle, thus shifting the pattern - I then also reversed the colours later on, to add insult to injury. You cannot see the knitting for about 4" on the E6000. The back, made last week, went just fine - and yes, the knitting IS kind of wide and short, the result of hasty gauge measurements made last week I suspect. I'm thinking the back and the damaged front might become two halves of a cushion cover now. Phooey. But I do have a cushion that desperately needs a cover anyway. Alas, the v-neck is a little too deep :)

Oh well - I learnt lots and it was fun! It's pattern (1013? will have to check!), tech 138 worked in two colours. I'm also working up a simple 1x1 ribbed scarf pattern for the Passap, a stash-buster for all those cones of "what on EARTH was I thinking?" yarn... Watch this space!

Current mood: annoyed

No comments: