Monday, December 21, 2020

Passap and DAK, finally!

IMG_20201221_083740

My first programmed pattern on the Passap! Yes, no big deal to anyone else really - I think I bought the Passap DAK cable last xmas and then never got around to trying it out. I think I can do without the magnetic sensor bit for interactive knitting - the slope of the back lock doesn't make it easy to position the magnetic arm, and the masts aren't really deep enough to hold the weight of the sensor - and the cable is not QUITE long enough to mount on the mast and ALSO plug into the console, which is a bit annoying because at first I did get it positioned perfectly. Plus there isn't actually anywhere to position my laptop for interactive knitting - putting it on the motor is fine until one wishes to change colours, and then the laptop's liable to get thrown across the room and out of the door. Never mind - the stars pattern was something I had in DAK, probably a .BMP file, and it went well - you start the Passap up with the DAK cable plugged into the top left hand side of the Passap console, in place of the connector that goes to the locks. When the program asks for the stitch pattern, you press the blank button and then zero, and it comes up with "PC START", which is when you hit the download button on your computer. When the programming is all finished and you're ready to start, you switch the Passap off and reconnect the lock, fire it up again and skip straight to the cast on. I can see why a switch box would be useful, to stop me having to keep unplugging. I did buy one many moons ago, with the intention of connecting the machine up, but I've an awful feeling it's a serial not a USB box, because Wincrea was on my mind at the time and not DAK. Quite archaic technology now, but then the Passap is at least 40 years old already... probably older! 

Well I had a fairly productive, if frustrating, final day "at" work. Did some small modifications on an already sold system, which took most of the day, and then an engineer I was working with on something else last week made a right mess of the folder structure in head office and wanted something changing. That is a bit of an issue as we CAD engineers are all currently working on our C: drives to save our sanity (due to the pandemic / remote working) and then copying files back up when done - and we know what goes where!  I couldn't figure out where I'd saved it, as my structure didn't match his. These engineers, pah - firstly, they never consider that you've worked on several projects most weeks, and that theirs might not be at the forefront of your mind. Secondly, xmas always seems to come as a surprise to them. This year 70% of the CAD engineers have already finished for the year, so leaving work 'til week 52 is a really bad idea. I'd consider logging on if I was offered overtime, but I'm not on that sort of contract alas. So extra work is at my discretion. Dunno about you but I'm DONE with 2020! Yes, a whole week early! Someone pinging me about some document he's written at 4:20pm, just putting the tin hat on the icing, as it were? Not my circus and not my monkeys today, mate - it can wait until the 4th January. 

Current mood: annoyed

1 comment:

Vikki Haffenden said...

Hi, HOw nice to see a post about the E6000 and DAK. I had my machine console upgraded with more memory and the hardare to work with DAK and bought the cable and switching box. I have to say the box is really good as it means you don't have to unplug cables, although it took me a while and some frustration to understand that I had to flip the switch to move between upload and knit mode. It is all serial connections as I bought the Croucher set up, but I have 2 serial to usb converters from earlier iterations of DAK so have found one of these works fine with the older laptop I keep for DAK. NOt sure if they would work with newer laptops - lets hope so if I ever upgrade! The Croucher cable is lovely and long, and with the addition of the cable length of the converter I can sit the laptop on a sewing table nearby - I get your comment about flying laptops if it is on the motor! I've only played with my new toy so far, no real stuff to show, which is shameful, but there never seems to be enough time! I enjoy your blog, thanks for taking the time to share so much with others. Vikki