Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Supersize cables revisited

An anonymous reader commented that they couldn't get this technique to work - and I realised I'd never tried it myself and that I'd made no mention of tension. Knowing Bill King via his monthly techniques in MKM, I suspect he probably uses 3ply or industrial yarn, and possibly has the ribber on a loose tension, and possibly all of it on a looser tension than you'd normally use.

The principle is that for a 5x5 cable, you first cross 5 and 3 stitches, knit two rows, and then continue the cross with the same 5 and the remaining 2 stitches. Thus you create a 5x5 cable, but in two seperate crosses.

So anyway, I tried it, and I agree with anonymous - as written it's very hard to do. I did manage it in some 4ply, but I don't really like the "hole" you get in the middle of the cross. 

PXL_20210224_111635157

My preferred method for supersize cables is to manually knit the cable stitches with an end of yarn, making larger loops, and then do the cable cross. Yeah, I demoed "magic fairisle" above it.

PXL_20210224_164816798

Some hats and a scarf I made to use up some poodle yarn. Very ho-hum.

PXL_20210204_090026336

I'm still struggling with DAK and have emailed Softbyte - the SK840 won't do fairisle either (though it seems happy to jam!) so I suspect there's an issue with the drivers. As the last machine I used it successfully with was the Passap, I suspect perhaps I need to tell it I've switched drivers before telling it again in DAK. Hopeful I get some clarity, being spoilt with three flavours of electronic machines! 
 

And just for fun - this is my cat, thinking he can't be seen. Plonker!

PXL_20210222_124124535

Current mood: apathetic

No comments: