Monday, July 10, 2023

Baby steps, and the struggles of a perfectionist

We had a short break in Bristol last weekend. It was ok, though the weather was decidedly blah. We ate well and visited the SS Great Britain, which was fascinating. Not sure I'd particularly visit again but it was a nice change. We walked a lot as our hotel was a good twenty minutes outside town.

Not much progress to report, but I did successfully knit a sleeve in English rib on the Passap. I managed to drop a few stitches when casting off, but they've been fixed with handknitting needles. Many thanks to jkisala on the Ravelry Passap group for giving me the pointers to understand the pattern. The other sleeve should go much quicker, and I've already knitted the back and a front once, so they should be ok.

Since picking up the cross stitch in Birmingham a few weeks back, it has been taking up a lot of my time. I find it quite soothing, except for when I go wrong and have to unpick bits. I've also made some progress on the second tunisian crochet sheep cushion cover, though it took two false starts to get the corners right on the last white section (so I ended up effectively going backwards last Wednesday when I worked on it). I didn't have that trouble with the first one so perhaps I managed to overthink it somehow.

In the meantime I've been enjoying using the fancy new pen, and feeling pretty meh about the Wing Sung 3013, which is a TWSBI copy. Not sure if it's the nib width, which appears to be extra fine, but the ink just doesn't seem to want to flow very smoothly. It may end up in the circular file, or on Ebay. A pity, I would not have wasted £10 on it if I'd known. The Platinum Plaisir is also a joy to use, and I'm dying to know if it really IS a ball bearing seal in the cartridge - though it seems fairly frugal with ink, so it might be a while before I can find out!

No more holiday for a while, and the Cog has instigated the diet again. Ugh. I wouldn't mind if I felt it was working, but after twelve months it's getting a little tiresome!

Current mood: working

No comments: