Tuesday, October 01, 2024

FO: mobile phone sleeve, Etsy and other things

PXL_20240930_070616093

This probably looks pretty underwhelming but it fits the 'phone well (and I'm too lazy to dig out another camera just to take a picture of it in use, sorry!). 50 stitches on the Brother KH950i at T6 with some hand-manipulated cables. This was knitted during a one day event I organised at the Alex on Sunday just gone. I helped E knit a penny sock and C did a bit of fairisle and tuck. If you're local you can subscribe to my local events on the right hand side of this post, and even if you're not local I run a monthly machine knitting zoom and a whatsapp group, please sign up and join us!

Nobody will have probably noticed, but I've taken my three machine knitting crash course leaflets offline for the time being. Apparently I've made more than 2000 sales or too much money - neither are true, but I suspect Etsy has just sent a blanket email to everyone rather than do any maths - because I now need to register as a sole trader and get a tax code, even though I doubt I made more than 15 sales of £1.30 in a year (Etsy gets the extra 30p). As I've no idea how or if I want to go to the hassle of setting myself up with a tax code, it's all parked for now. I might well offer the leaflets for free anyway. Not sure yet! I've nothing against paying tax (I already do, being in full time employment), it's just a hassle I could do without right now because presumably once I register I have to do an annual tax return (even though I'm well under the £1k a year threshold). So, well done HMRC - though to be fair, this is an international thing - nobody seems to be in a hurry to chase down anyone big (with the exception of Apple). As the Etsy market was already flooded with lots of sellers selling scans (many of which are already available for free from the MKmanuals site), and the rest being copyrighted material that shouldn't be legally resold in such a manner, I was already swimming with the scum, so what is the point? I give up! As for selling the socks online, well, people would much rather buy store-bought and short-lived alas.

The weather seems to be mirroring my mood - wet, grey and grumpy!

Current mood: cynical

No comments: