People are going to get the impression that I spend all my time on crochet retreats, which alas is not the case! Anyway, it was the turn of the annual KCG AGM and convention. This time it was in a hotel in Eastwood, which is in Nottinghamshire. It was a rather slow drive up the M1 - I think I'd missed any signs of an actual accident, but the traffic was still bunching up. I was absolutely shattered and it was hard work concentrating - so much so, that I checked in and attempted an hour's nap before the welcome talk. The dinner buffet was rather nice, as it was served in the room we had to ourselves. After dinner, I decided to skip the show and tell (which is always really good) and go straight to bed, even though I had finally added a button to the crochet jacket I'd intended to show off. My room was a good ten minute trek away - very handy for the carpark and lovely and quiet. I slept for 10 hours, so I guess I needed it!
After breakfast, we had a talk about the healing power of knitting (and crochet) by two psychologists, which was very interesting - a pity the AV decided not to play along for the first twenty minutes! After a quick coffee break, the AGM part went quickly, and after lunch I headed upstairs for my first workshop, which was crocheted cables. As always, it's very hard to pick a workshop - I would probably have been happy in any of them! More IT issues, as Lindy's live camera decided it only wanted to do stills. Eventually, a reboot sorted it out. We had a go at 1x1, 2x2 and 3x3 cables; the latter involves some poking about in holes but looks really good when finished. She also gave us a scarf pattern, something I may aspire to in the future.
After trekking back to my room, I was a bit too late for the second talk of the day, so decided to try out the pool and sauna areas, which were pleasantly quiet - just a few other "naughty knitters" in there! After another trek back (to dry my hair) it was time for dinner. Again, most of us went to bed after that, it being 9pm. I didn't sleep quite so well, getting too hot in the night, and had a weird dream about discovering a frog and then a weird high-speed slug in my mother's bedroom. Why can I never have nice dreams any more?! Pah...
I had taken a shawl project (glimmer shawl) that I started in 2015 to work on. I'm currently adding a knitted sawtooth edging. Alas, it took 3 attempts to get the first row right, and then everything went wrong on the 2nd row. Thank goodness for lifelines - now I remember why it's been on pause for so long, it's not TV knitting, it's "sit in a quiet room with no interruptions" knitting. So the two rows got frogged, and I got precisely nowhere with it. Oh well - I knew it was a stretch!
On Sunday, the hotel had been somewhat taken over by young footballers, so there was a bit of a queue for breakfast. My second workshop was a two-colour crochet technique which I'd not come across before. One always starts from the right hand end, always works on the right side, and works dcs into the back loop only of stitches one wants to "hide", and works trs into the front loop of the row below for colours one wants to see at the back - you alternate between the two colours in use. Although I missed the 2nd row, I managed to do one row of crosses. You do ordinary dcs and a chain space at either end, which gives you something to chain into later and add a border to. I really liked this as a technique, and the tutor had brought an amazing colourful blanket to show off the technique. Not sure what I'll do with this sample, as currently it looks like a bookmark for a giant.
After a short break, we had a talk by Ailsa Stephens, one of the "Game of Wool" finalists. She was lovely, and it sounds as if the show could have been cut rather better than it was. Then lunch, closing remarks and a raffle - I deliberately failed to buy a ticket because I'm trying not to gain more items, though the Kendal Mint Cake did look nice! We headed home directly after the raffle, and made great time. I was back at home by 5pm, and Greg had done two coats of paint on the bedroom ceiling, and two on the walls, and had planned a BBQ (men and fire again?!). Just a few minor bits to touch up this week and we can start glossing.
A really lovely weekend, an excellent venue, and it's inspired me to get another project or two on the go. Apparently the optimum number is 10?!
Current mood:
inspired


No comments:
Post a Comment