Thursday, November 16, 2006

Craft bigotry

So, can anyone explain to me, why crafts in general, and knitting in particular, should have such a bad reputation? What is wrong with taking time to make something highly personal and unique, in this world of mass-produced cheapness? Knitting is a skill, just like pottery or carpentry. Machine knitting is also skilled - I defy a newbie to produce a garment at a first sitting without it involving a lot of swearing! I'm fed up with the "but isn't it cheating?" argument, too - we don't deny quilters their sewing machines, or a wood-turner his lathe! Machine knitting is just a way of doing patterning and stocking stitch quicker. I have a low boredom threshold - so sue me!

Remember, that I'm too young to remember the crocheted granny squares era!!

The snide "Yarn? Oh I wouldn't have guessed" when some yarn turned up at reception really rankled, I don't quite know why. There are far worse things to be addicted to - cigarettes, alcohol etc.

I'm collecting yarn, patterns, books and gadgets, and no-one will stop me until I've taken over the entire house! Bwu-ha-ha-ha!!

I've got a new transfer carriage to try out this week, if I can find the time.

No comments: