Machine: std 4.5mm gauge machine
Yarn: Any oddments of sock yarn 3-4ply
Make 2 alike
- Cast on with waste yarn over 52 sts, knit a few rows and end with carriage on right.
- K 1 row ravel cord RC000
- With main yarn and T5, K 38 rows. Set carriage to HOLD - carriage should be on left
- Put needles 5R to 26R into Hold
- K1 row (COR)
- Put 5 Ns opposite carr into hold, K1 row
- Put 1 N nearest carr into hold, K1 row
- Rep rows 6 and 7 until only 6 sts left in work in the middle of the bed (RC47)
- Put all needles from 26L to 4R into UWP and K 6 rows (RC53)
- Put all thumb needles back into hold except middle 7, K 1 row
- Put 1N nearest carr into hold, K1 row
- Put 7 Ns to UWP, K 1 row
- Rep rows 11 and 12 until all thumb stitches (26L - 4R) back in work. Break yarn.
- Put all Ns into HOLD, and pass the carriage to the right (free pass) COR (RC63)
- Put all needles from 5R to 26R into UWP and knit 8 rows (RC71)
- Cancel HOLD, K38 rows on all needles (RC109)
Break yarn, leaving a tail 4 x the width of the knitting, and scrap off on waste yarn. Graft the cast on and cast off edges together and weave in ends.
- You might subtract multiples of 2 rows at (15) if you find the finger part too loose. I tried leaving them out altogether and felt it made the thumb hole a bit too tight - only advantage being you don't have to break the yarn
- I added a row of dc, a row of tr and some 5tr, 1dc shells to mine; you could add rib before grafting instead to counteract the natural curl of stocking stitch.
- If you don't fancy grafting, cast on with e-wrap instead, knit the last row @ T10 and latch off instead. You'll have a seam down the outside of the hand.