Monday, February 18, 2019

The light at the end of the tunnel...

Woman 1: "I was down in the dumps the other day......so I bought myself a new dress!"
Woman 2: "Oh, so THAT'S where you get all your clothes from!"

Ho ho - just a silly joke that comes to mind when I have SAD. Yes, winter and my low mood have been pretty relentless this year, but despite not much being posted to the blog I *have* been doing some knitting, albeit simple "chimp work" on a cardigan - the second attempt to knit something out of Bamboozle yarn, as the first attempt at the cardigan resulted in too-small sleeve heads/armholes that made me look like the aforementioned chimp. I could not fathom out where I had gone wrong at the time, so frogged all but the sleeves (and they're short, so it was a case of 90% frogged really). I am now knitting front, back and front all of a piece, so that at least I can be certain that the arm scye starts at the same point on both sides. It seems to be taking forever, but I suspect I'm almost ready to divide for the fronts and backs, I just need to whip out my trusty tape measure. The yarn is one with big blobs of single in it, so possibly not the easiest in terms of row gauge. This will be my last attempt - alas it's probably only suitable for knitweave otherwise! Very pretty though so I do hope it works out. Then I need to take stock of the yarn stash and make serious inroads, I have at least two garments-worth of yarn that has yet to be swatched and made up, and I would ideally like to put at least one of the machines away to make more space for other hobbies. Oh, I am doing watercolours one night a week at the local adult education centre - loving it, though I am not very good yet!

Asides from that, there's been litle to report on the machine knitting front. Saddened to read that Metropolitan is up for sale but not at all surprised, nobody is getting any younger. I do hope they find a buyer, it will be so sad to lose this resource. If I was ten years closer to retirement I'd take it on myself, though I suspect it would have to be an online-only business. The end of an era indeed. Also gutted because I had hoped to take Mark's maintenance course - I've transferred my deposit to a Passap three day-er :)

We had a lovely MK meeting at my house this Saturday - R brought her Brother KH710 and we ironed out an issue she was having with it, and got to play with it. She had worked some lovely slipstitch samples that looked like knitted seersucker. I've always dismissed these older, push-button machines for newbies - but only because spares are getting scarce. It runs like a dream and is great fun, you can make up patterns as you go, as long as you remember to pull the handle every row like a one-armed bandit. Had an interested Sunday getting a massage and a tarot reading (not at the same time, that would be weird!). There is light at the end of the tunnel, the crocuses and snowdrops are coming out. I just need to hang in there for a few more weeks.

Current mood: meh

No comments: