Sunday, August 02, 2020

FO: Mitten madness in August, and facemasks...

IMG_20200803_080636 

Why yes, I did take leave of my senses Saturday afternoon - after a disappointing wander around Leamington Spa, I came home and made these on the chunky machine, from a pattern in an old copy of Modern Machine Knitting. Leamington Spa was lovely as always - and I love the closed Parade, we walked down the middle of the road just because pre-pandemic that would have been impossible. It was disappointing because we were turned away by a miserable member of staff from an empty restaurant because it was "bookings only", which was fine, but hey, why not put up a big sign so I don't feel like stupid scum for daring to ask maybe? By the time we'd walked back around to Wagamamas (second choice), a queue had miraculously appeared from nowhere. M&S picnic it was to be, then... 

Sunday the weather was really good, so after a morning spent working on the gardens, I got my sewing machine out on the patio and made a few more face masks. Apologies for the corona hair, I'm actually about two steps shy of becoming a Wookie... 

  IMG_20200802_174448 

This is the "chin gusset" pattern given to me by an old school friend on Facebook. It is still too close to my eyes despite my trimming this one back, and the chin gusset needs a pleat to fit my face. Himself seems happy enough with the fit but he is clearly squarer of jaw. The birds are sideways because this was leftover scraps from the beach shorts - when I've made the top from the remainder of the fabric perhaps I can make another one with birds the right way up!

  IMG_20200802_174509 IMG_20200802_174525 


These two are made from the Olson pattern - much easier to make, but I added bias binding to both so that I could add a twisty-tie nose wire. The fit is much better for me with these. There's a printing fault on the green one, it is not an extra pleat. Refusing to buy yet more crap online (ie nose strips) unless I have to - alas, the non-fruitful trip to Leamington was for some particular gardening books so I guess my options are limited. Lots of other Olson patterns here - I don't favour the simpler pleated design, only because I don't think they seal well aroud my face. Personal opinion and not scientifically tested! 

Current mood is apathetic. I feel isolated and abandoned (by everyone, by noone) - probably the same as everyone else! But to be fair, I've stopped making an effort too - I failed to show up to Wednesday's knit meet, and a zoom meeting organised by a crafting friend (to be fair I forgot about the latter and I don't know the rest of them so that makes it a bit weird). I just feel grumpy and fed up of lockdown and feel nobody probably wants or needs to talk about that (or anything else!) with me. I feel totally two dimensional, and I suspect nobody would notice if I wasn't here, asides from continuing to pay bills and taxes. Oh well, ho hum. Poor me. Yes, I'm being ridiculous, of course, and many are far worse off. I am privileged, yet still I whine. Well, if I can't be honest here... :) I guess the novelty of WFH has definitely worn off! And yes, my appetite for sugar / puddings has gone through the roof. Need to find a better comfort food...

  Current mood: apathetic

No comments: