Tuesday, December 01, 2020

FO: Take a Turn, the nightmare scarf and general burblings

IMG_20201201_091856 IMG_20201201_092318 

Two pictures today - the finished Take a Turn sweater which I am currently wearing, and a tuck stitch scarf from the Passap which is finished except for weaving in the ends and rescuing a dropped stitch. 

I'll admit it - I was lazy and didn't swatch for the jumper. It's been knitted at T8 and a handwash hasn't closed the holes up as much as I would have liked, maybe T7 would have been better. It's a handwash Shetland 4ply and the neckline is a bit lower than I usually go for - it's just about decent but a good tug will show off my bra and it would be quite easy to wear it off one shoulder. Trying to decide if I dare machine wash it and risk it shrinking too much - it would still fit someone, but perhaps not me! Decisions, decisions... I will make a note of the before and after tensions though for future reference, not that there's enough left for another garment. Nice pattern though, I enjoyed it. I've not blocked or steamed it either. I am such a naughty knitter! Well, I'm on holiday this week (had vague plans to be in Bruges for a few days, sigh!) so although there is ironing I could do, it'll keep. 

As for the scarf, it was some sort of lace weight wool given to me in a destash. Took me over an hour to rewind it for the machine - it's a biasing single that LOVES to mate with itself (aka flufflinks). The pattern's from the Metbury Bitty book but I widened it over 60 stitches, hence the rather wide and short result. No way am I frogging it though - enough is enough, it took me six attempts to get it cast on. Turns out using the comb and waste yarn and weights really is the charm on the Passap. 

Yesterday I swatched a bunch of mostly acrylic yarns that I've acquired over the years with no project in mind. Today I plan on doing some recording of tensions and planning of plain jumpers for the charity box. Perhaps with a few cables thrown in just so I don't get bored.

I'm excited today because my Christmas present to myself just arrived - a 35mm macro lens for my camera. Yes, I know I'm twenty five days early, but I don't care. I guess I could give it to the Cog and ask him to wrap it for me, but... well, I really don't want to! It's a lovely crisp winter day outside (after three days of grey overcast Meh!) so I'm looking forward to trying it out on the foliage and flowers outside, such as they are. 

The Cog and I decided to treat ourselves to the gift we really want (as both are in triple figures, he wants another guitar pedal) and just buy each other a token gift up to thirty pounds. We've also pretty much decided we'll ignore the government "advice" over meeting up indoors over Christmas, and pass presents over doorsteps or via visits in parks. His dad is quite frail already and why risk undoing all the hard graft of 2020 for the sake of a few hours revelry? Asides from which, it forces you to pick two households only (we have five potential sets) and I would hate to put anyone's nose out of joint that didn't get chosen.

Part of me is happy, secure and glad to be safe. Part of me is sick of the house, missing normality and wishes I could do a straight house swap for a week (and that the swappees could be a family of OCD cleaners, if possible!). Oh, I cooked a three course meal for himself yesterday as it was his birthday. Going for a walk later to walk it off I hope!

Current mood: silly with excitement

No comments: