Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Knit on through all crises...

IMG_20201124_115552

Front of "Take a turn". It'll look better when it's made up, I promise!

IMG_20201124_115525

The cheat sheets, all three of them - I didn't bother creating one for the back, because the cables all start on the same row and as luck would have it the first twist was R206, so I just used my six times table and ignored the 200 for each twist. As it happened the carriage was on the right for start of the armhole, so next time I might pencil in L and R after the fact. H is short for hold, C is for cable, I used D later on for the neck decreases and would use I for increases - not applicable here. The scribble says "Mark" - you mark the cable gutter four rows before the first cross. If you don't have access to a spreadsheet program you could easily draw this up freehand. Well worth the ten minutes it took to do.

IMG_20201124_115655

The hopeful geranium - I bought this for £2 at the supermarket, it was all alone because it hardly had any flowers on it. This is the THIRD time it's flowered this year, and it cheers my view every day. There was a third sprig but alas I poked around a bit, trying to give it more space, and it snapped off. I have no idea what the number on the calculator is about, I sometimes wonder if it's got limited intelligence and is trying to communicate with me somehow. 

IMG_20201115_131357

A few weekends ago, we went for a quick ramble, despite the lowering darkness on the horizon. About twenty minutes in, we got caught in a short shower, and took refuge under a tree. We were treated to this rainbow, which was actually continuous (alas it didn't all fit in my smartphone's viewfinder so you'll have to take my word for it). Probably only just visibile - Rugby Cemex is about where the pot of gold should be. The rainbow was a lot more neon in person, alas the camera never does it justice. 

Current mood: happy

3 comments:

Pip said...

Thank you for all this. Interesting spreadsheet approach and the other photos are lovely.

I wonder what the calculator is trying to tell you? 😊

Emma said...

Hi - Thank you so much for a really helpful site. I have a question about my yarn breaking - don't know if you can help. Previously when I was doing lace or ladder stitch (with stitch transfer by hand), the next row would be a bit stiff but would knit OK. Now though, it is even harder to move the cam over, and it often rips my yarn. I would deb so grateful for any advice.

steel breeze said...

If you are doing manual lace, pull the needles out on the next pass - to upper working position, or fully out (the latter option if you are not in hold at the same time). Pulling the needles out a bit helps the machine knit off properly. Also if it's older yarn, leaving it in the freezer in a plastic bag overnight will rehydrate it. Or you can spray it with water in a plant mister!