Monday, March 16, 2009

I have been a naughty girl...

...because a fellow Raveller was selling this, and I bought it! Picking it up at Wonderwool next month. I've always wanted to have a proper go at weaving, and TBH? the weavemaster knitting machine attachment is really quite bulky and takes up a lot of space/hogs a knitting machine. Looks like you can convert the ashford to 4 shaft, which is excellent, because that's what I really want to have a go at, ever since I got this book for xmas. Parts are still available, too, which is always good. Now, I wonder if I can talk the Cog into making me a warping frame...

So, another hobby to add to my repertoire? As well as tatting? Well, it keeps me off the streets, haha! Tatting is making what looks like a lark's head knot with one yarn, over another one. Looks really complex, but is really easy.

I'm looking for a pearlised (mercerised?) crochet cotton for a shawl I want to design. It needs to be kind of shiny, like embroidery silk, but in decent quantities. I'll need to swatch a bit, to work out how much is needed. Anybody got any decent UK sources?

Spent an hour waiting to get a train to the NEC on Sunday - they cancelled the first one with about 5 minutes notice. Whilst I was waiting, they announced the Rugby train would arrive on platform 2 not 3 - however, they forgot to tell the train 'cause it arrived on platform 3 anyway. Much confusion! The train I finally caught, apparently stopped at all the local stops (according to the electronic displays at Cov station). However, the driver obviously had better ideas, and went straight to the NEC. So presumably anybody at a local stop had a good 90 minutes wait. On the way back, my train turned up on time, but another one was cancelled because they "didn't have enough crew". I'm sorry? Trains have a regular schedule - how hard is it to work out how much crew you'll need?! Unless, of course, you cancelled an earlier train, and perhaps stranded them at the wrong station?! Sheesh! No wonder people prefer to use their cars!

The NEC was great fun, but exhausting. Had a near-constant stream of folks on both days wanting to learn crochet. Nowhere to sit, again, unless you ate at the over-priced and over-worked restaurants. £2 for a single chocolate-chip cookie? I nearly caved, but talked myself out of it in the queue. When Subway (5 mins walk outside the halls) gives them out free with a cup of coffee?! On Sunday the sun was out, so I ate my sandwiches out on the grass. Had to stop a few folks using the UKHA stand as a resting spot, and it was constantly used as a thoroughfare between aisles, but that's a minor gripe. A few folks commented that it was nice to find free tuition, because the official workshops were quite pricey. Met a local woman who wanted MK tuition, so gave her my details. I'm happy to teach for petrol and a coffee...

1 comment:

Louise said...

hey, I've bee searching the internet for mention of the 'weavemaster' and came by your site! I'm a textile design student and one of these would be so useful.. I really badly want one! where did you get it? thanks! ps- love your blog! louiseplayer@hotmail.com