Tuesday, December 21, 2021

The only plan is not to plan...

I thought I'd better check in here before the end of the year, despite there still being very little crafting to report. If there's anyone still reading this, I'm just popping in to say I'm ok. My sleep cycle always gets disrupted with the return to GMT, so I wake too early and drop off around 9pm. It takes some time to get back into some sort of routine, so all I'm good for is the odd bit of handknitting or crochet. It's hard not to get stuck into negative thinking when it's so dark outside, with the added strain of Xmas preparations on top. This year might be the hardest ever - epilepsy meds which disrupt sleep, menopause and SAD all at once. Guess what - insomnia, excessive alcohol and caffeine can increase the chances of seizures too - great! Sometimes the thoughts take a very dark turn - luckily I'm too exhausted to do anything stupid, and anyway I'm determined to make my next milestone birthday. I need to learn to tame the mad squirrel brain I think. 

It's even worse with COVID seemingly stalking our every move - I won't get to see my family in person over Christmas this year. Alas, it's the thoughtlessness of others that has put the kybosh on our celebrations, thanks to one cavalier individual. How selfish can you be to attend choir practice with "just a cough", in the middle of a pandemic, knowing full well your child was positive the week before? Thus infecting at least five people (b-i-l being one of them) and probably more. Ironically, it doesn't even matter - my nephew has also gone down with it from another source, so they will all be staying indoors and at home. They've been uber-careful, they've all had all the jabs they could, and taken every precaution they could, but the virus wins anyway. I thought last year was bad, but at least we got to celebrate outside, on a golf course.

Oh well, enough of my troubles. We are warm, safe, employed and I am going to count all the positive things we have going for us. I got my spare ipod repaired, the house is full of nice food and drink and things could be much, much worse. Happy Christmas to you all, and here's hoping for a better 2022! 

Current mood: relaxed

No comments: