Monday, August 29, 2022

Marbling fun

marbling

Well, I had my first ever go at marbling yesterday - the stall holder kindly gave me a big bunch of ready cut paper. Alas I didn't realise I had to prepare the "floater" liquid the night before - and in this case it wouldn't have helped anyway, because we had planned to go to the beach yesterday but changed our minds that morning. Also I had trouble getting the lid off the red and had to use a steak knife - am I the only person who overthinks those plastic "rip strips" and ends up snapping them in the wrong place?! Also I don't have any small containers for making up different colours, and I need to figure out how to be a bit more scientific making the paint up (it's 1:1 water: paint) to get the solution correct. But, a lot of fun! I have a larger container I can see being useful for bigger sheets of paper. There is sizing (alum) for treating other surfaces eg wood, pottery and cotton included in the pack. I ended up with quite a lot of paint sitting at the bottom of the pan (I probably used too much!) and of course we never have kitchen roll anymore, and my supply of rags was zero. I'm not clear if it's possible to re-use the floater liquid between sessions, the next attempt may have had a blue cast so I disposed of it. But anyway, a lot of fun! Not bad for a first attempt I think! You're supposed to curl the paper into the water so as not to get ripples / air bubbles, something to remember for next time.

Current mood: impressed

No comments: