Monday, September 12, 2022

Heritage open day and a chapter closes...

PXL_20220912_063658895

Received this lovely fat quarter from a swap I participated in. Lovely colours - sad to think these stamps will soon become a thing of the past though. The Queen has always just been around for most of us, strange to think we now have a King instead. I had quietly suspected something was amiss already this week, as new pms are always met at the palace normally - good for her to welcome her last prime minister before she left us. I'm not sure how I feel about things right now - the switching around of the television and radio programming is getting a bit wearying now but apparently (according to an Irish colleague) in the past we did royal funerals very badly (he mentioned drunken pallbearers) and we were the laughing stock of Europe so now it seems we must be the other way for a bit.

Because of the last minute nature of the news, and the fact it was a "free to attend" event (ie no prebooking required), my friend Chris still ran her Heritage Open Day exhibition, where lots of local craftspeople set up mini stalls and working areas in her Alexandra Arts cafe. We had weaving, cross stitch, lacemaking, bow drill jewellery making, woodcut printmaking going on. I was sequestered in the old brewery building on the Saturday, and made one pair of socks on the CSM whilst Liz knitted two fairisle hats on the Brother KH881. We had a few visitors, but mostly fellow artists and people who we'd invited personally. There was a short interview on BBC CWR and I may have been photographed by the local newspaper fixing a dropped stitch. The Leamington Food and Drink festival also went ahead I believe (the CWR reporter having just come from there) - probably too hard to cancel at short notice, again as it's a free-to-attend annual event.

Incidentally, the Alexandra Arts cafe is open next weekend with different crafts - I'm away at the KCG AGM so cannot attend. If you're in the Rugby area it's worth a look!

Sunday was much quieter, as Heritage pulled any active promotion on Friday owing to the death of the monarch. I moved my machines into the garden room, alongside the weavers, so at least I had company! I made a second pair of CSM socks and managed to squeeze a matching pair of fingerless gloves out of the leftover yarn (Malabrigo sock I guess!).

PXL_20220912_063322719

And finally, a fellow Raveller from the "Love of Letters" group sent me this lovely suncatcher kit, which I started as news was breaking about the late Queen. You can't tell now but it had numbered positions for the diamantes, on a sticky base, and it's double-sided. It's very pretty and surprisingly Zen to make one of these up, though I've yet to figure out where to hang it!

PXL_20220912_081340565

Current mood: thoughtful

1 comment:

Cathy N said...

I'm a long time reader of your words, also a passap duo 80 knitter (still learning) , just want to say I always enjoy your posts. Your words just read so well and I am seldom surprised by your mood summary. here in NZ the queen's death is well covered but also more detached, she was an amazing woman... as you can tell not much to say but, please keep writing, it always makes me reflect.