Monday, March 25, 2013

Put the finger on you

Found some more needles after I posted the last lot for sale, see the updated post here
  • Brother std ribber needles, 254g approx. 
  • Unknown fine gauge needles, ABC = 12.3, 4.6, 1.4, 8 needles
  • Silver SK860 needles, ABC = 17.4, 7.2, 1.6, 20 needles
  • Silver? unknown needles, ABC = 13.75, 5.65, 1.4, 15 needles
PM me at the address opposite if interested, same terms as before please. 



DSCN0821

Because I had a very loose fingernail last week, I decided to knit myself a "finger" cover. It's from a glove pattern. I thought it might be useful as a base for a finger puppet. I made one in Forsell Shamal DK, which was ok but I found the seam was a bit uncomfortable. I made a second one, tubular, in leftover sock yarn yesterday, as the exposed nail bed is still a bit tender. You can adjust for different fingers by knitting less rows. You could also scale this up a bit for a willy warmer I suppose! :) I did think perhaps I could make the rest of the glove and having a removable index finger would be great for smartphone use...

I did pick up a rubber, metal-tipped sewing thimble at the show on Saturday, it's ideal for working on the knitting machine but makes my finger sweat a bit, so not ideal. 

The pattern:

Machine: any standard gauge machine
Yarn: 4ply

Seamed version

Cast on 18 sts in 1x1 rib, rib for 10 rows at T4
Transfer all stitches to main bed, do not reset row counter. Knit to row 36 using T6. 
Using 7 prong transfer tool, transfer every other stitch to its neighbour.
Knit two rows at T4. Break yarn leaving enough for sewing up, thread through live stitches.
Remove from machine and draw up, sew seam. Weave in ends. 

(mostly) Seamless version

Cast on 18 sts in 1x1 rib, rib for 10 rows at T4
Transfer all stitches to main bed, do not reset row counter.
Hold 9 sts furthest from carriage, scrap off rest of stitches onto waste yarn.
Hang these stitches on ribber (in order to knit the rest circular). 
Set the machine for circular knitting and knit to row 52 (26 rounds) using T6. 
Using 7 prong transfer tool, transfer every other stitch to its neighbour on both beds.
Knit two rows at T4. Break yarn leaving enough for sewing up, thread through live stitches.
Remove from machine and draw up. Sew up rib seam, weave in ends. 

No comments: