Monday, May 25, 2020

Bank holidays, gardening and more sewing

Another bank holiday weekend in lockdown. Oh, the irony - most years you can guarantee bad weather on that extra day, so the weather being glorious for at least two of them, is clearly Mother Nature liking a joke. Easter Monday? Good Friday? Seem like ages ago, I'd have to check my diary for the weather report!

The "lush" hedges in the last post have now largely been removed. They were planted in 2000 by the original builders, and would have been fine if they had been kept under control. They had grown into one big lump of hedge, and it was getting hard to even just prune it back, let alone do anything else. We had a local company come and seriously prune both front and back gardens, remove several bushes in the front border, and remove a fir tree and some other shrubs. We've still got hedges down the side - our front garden is kind of three sides of an octagon, so two sides remain largely untouched. There's some sort of flowering bush on the corner - the gardeners did not know its name but called it "car park plant" and weren't keen on it - one was taken out. G tried planting some bits of a small leafed box type bush out front, but finally relented and bought some actual box which was on special offer. The world having gone quite mad for all kinds of hobbies, coupled with having to book slots for garden waste removal (we have a green bin but it's only collected fortnightly, so is always full!), means that getting hold of compost and other items has been tricky. Click and collect is also out for us "fit folks", which is understandable though also annoying - luckily only one of us is still tied to a desk.

Anyway, now it's been done we can at least see what needs doing. I am a reluctant gardener at the best of times, mostly because I don't know what I am doing or where to start, though I can prune with abandon! Yesterday I weeded the sad patch of "love in a mist" under the kitchen window so now it is JUST love in mist and not weeds. I started cutting the dandelions and other weeds out of the front lawn, and upset many ant colonies in the process. G directed me to dig over a small part of the garden out back. The lawns look dreadfully yellow; we've hardly had any rainfall since March - so late yesterday I actually watered everything, lawn included!

We have been trying to go vegan, which is also interesting when browsing the supermarket is somewhat frowned upon. Last night we both hankered after chinese though - and both wanted meat and fish. Paid for it this morning though as my stomach was unsettled first thing. We must learn to cook vegan versions of our favourites I think. G's main issue is that "lovely weather" = barbeque, and we've not figured out how to make a veggie burger that doesn't immediately disintegrate.

Today we went for a gentle stroll around Braunston and Wolfhamcote. Wolfhampcote and Braunstonebury are "lost" villages on the route according to OS, nothing really to see now other than lumpy fields and a church with no parish. I expect the area has a fascinating history, with canals, a marina and two disused railway lines. When we got back I planted some herbs - hoping I haven't buried them too deep but we shall see. Basil, coriander, dill and oregano are now in a propagator on the windowsill. I'm not much of a gardener - my house is where things come to die, because I forget to water them. The Cog amused himself by using the pizza oven to burn the rest of the garden "rubbish", a shrub we removed.

Anyway, the title promised sewing content! Yesterday I took it upon myself to try and sew something with the leftovers from the turquoise wrap top. I decided against using it to lengthen the top, but only after I'd cut the strips and tried it and decided it would spoil the look. Not quite enough material for shorts. Not quite enough material for a skirt, not even if pencil skirts came back into fashion and suited my physique (they don't). I have a blue linen top, a wardrobe favourite, bought on the local market. I decided to trace the shape of it onto my fabric, and aimed to use the overlocker as much as possible to make the most of the material available. It's been on my "to do" list for ages - a top made almost entirely on the overlocker (US: serger). The order of assembly is a little different - I basically added the sleeve and neck facings to the respective parts by overlocking them on (right sides together) then turning them out and steaming them and using the overlocker to join the shoulder and side seams. I used the sewing machine to do a little top stitching, and added some machine embroidered hearts on the sleeves.

IMG_20200526_075008

The moment of truth came, and I tried the top on - and discovered it's a smidge too tight all over! Of course, I completely failed to turn the top I'd copied inside out, so hadn't added the 5mm seam allowance required - I was careful not to trim with the overlocker, but losing 1cm overall is just enough to make the top a bit tight all over. In hindsight if I'm going to add any machine embroidery, it should be done before assembly and definitely through either two pieces of fabric or some stitch and tear because otherwise it sinks into the fabric. The chances of me being able to wear the top when weightloss is stalled due to lockdown seems unlikely. Oh well. I will see if it fits in a few months, or perhaps pass it onto someone smaller. It was an enjoyable make, even if it doesn't quite fit. I would like to try making the top again but with stretch jersey - that's something I've not tried with the overlocker.

Whilst I was still in the sewing mood, I found some lovely rainbow checked fabric I bought at last year's Textile show. It was 4m by 38cm, and there was a wider piece at the time which I later wished I'd bought. Again, not quite wide enough for shorts unless pieced - but I have found a pattern for a vest top which will work, as long as the pieces are joined down the centre. Now of course I discover that bias binding seems to have sold out online - I suspect for face mask making. I actually bought one of those bias binder makers and have plenty of plain white cotton I can cut up, so that is my next project I think! :) Watch this space!

I'm also crocheting a zig zag baby blanket with leftover James C Brett, and have cautiously started a Sophie's Universe square, just to try out the yarn really. Not sure what I will do with it as I've only enough for three squares, I'm wondering if that would be enough for a very small shawl?

Current mood: enthralled

No comments: