Monday, August 16, 2021

Cameras I've loved and lost

I recently treated myself to a "new" second hand compact camera (Panasonic Lumix TZ70) but it got me thinking about all the old cameras I've had in the past, and how things have changed!

I think my first camera was this Kodak instamatic 100 - because Mum and Dad upgraded to an electronic Halina which they used for many years. I was about 11 at the time. It took square cube flashes, which weren't all that reliable. 

This was an early camera - mine was red and was branded with something, I think Mum saved up vouchers to buy it but I cannot remember what the food item was. I think it was either crisps or chocolate. It took a strip of flashes that were good for ten flashes, but didn't always fire reliably. When Sylvania was a brand, not a collection of cute animals. 

I had this camera until some swine broke into our hotel room in Eindhoven in 2003, and stole my (very stylish BHS) handbag. I hope when he saw the christening photos on it, he felt guilty. The camera itself wasn't worth much, but the pictures were priceless. Luckily my uncle took some too, and kindly sent me copies.  This was an APS camera with film you had to thread up, I struggled with that. Much preferred the drop-in 110 cartridge film. 

I may have replaced it with the HP 435 photosmart - a very basic camera but it did the job. I just saw this for sale for £180, I really hope nobody pays that for it! *

I finally coughed up for a new Nikon Coolpix in red - which I still have. Alas, the OK button is now very flaky and although it works, it's best if you leave it in one mode. It doesn't have a lot of options but it does take a decent picture. The lens shutter got jammed open in Newquay (sand I expect), though ten minutes of slapping sorted it out, so perhaps the same thing happened to the OK button. Such a shame, I'd freegle it otherwise. It was the first rechargeable camera I had I think, the HP took AA batteries if memory serves. 

I'm very impressed with my new "toy" - it's somewhat heavier than the Nikon and does need a case and a strap. How ironic, buying a camera in the middle of a pandemic when I'm not able to drive. Ha. 

Well, I've quite enjoyed the virtual stroll down memory lane, trying to find pictures of old cameras. What was your first camera? 

*Edit to add: I realised I left out the Kodak 360 zoom, which worked great until a tiny bit of plastic within the "zoom/taking a snap" button broke. In the DSLR range, I have also owned a Sony A230 (good but old) and a Canon 4000D (ok but not happy with the hotshoe), but have traded up to the Canon EOS 800D DSLR which is a really good camera for someone at my level! 

Current mood: enthralled

No comments: