Monday, August 30, 2021

Mojo sucking

Yes, it doesn't take much to lose one's mojo for hobbies at the moment. A combination of grey weather - where is all the lovely late summer weather? Not here, that's for sure! My lovely partner took me on an impromptu day trip to Bournemouth, tired of my carping about the complete amnesia of our beach holiday in July. Turns out we last visited in 2012, right before I had my cataracts done, but as we only visited one end of the beach (the pier divides it), it was a few hours before we recognised the place. Plus, visiting in October is never going to be the best time to see a seaside town. We did get a bit of sun, in between the clouds, but the sun's not shown its face in the Midlands for some time now.

I made a disastrous attempt at a cut and sew neck last weekend, which will have to be frogged - I need to grow a pair and take the overlocker to it I think, just zigzagging and snipping is too untidy to hide. I started a very simple sideways crochet scarf, for no reason in particular other than to have something to do, but have come to a shuddering halt because there's a splodge of machine oil on the yarn (which is white, naturally). I've never had to wash new yarn before I've used it before - I don't really want to break the yarn and have a knot because it'll be tricky to hide. 

In the interim I've been reading up a lot about photography, and have even managed to snap a few half-decent shots of a magnificent orb spider I spotted in the garden. Alas, she became quite camera shy - you have to get pretty close with a 35mm lens. Turns out I should have added some light - that lens actually has a built=in LED. I'd like to get better at photography - in an ideal world it'd be my job, ha! There's always a lens you don't have, though - it's an expensive hobby!

My s-i-l has given me a knitting machine and tons of accessories to pass on, proceeds to a donkey sanctuary.  It's a KH836, KR850 ribber, knitleader, single bed colour changer, transfer and intarsia carriages and a bunch of books. Hoping for offers in the region of £250, and it'd have to be collection, way too much to post! 

As the pandemic grinds into the eighteenth month, the cavalier have thrown caution to the wind and are now maskless. The Cog and I are the exception to the rule - and if we're the only ones, what's the point? It's only a matter of time before one or both of us gets it. Did I miss a news item? Is it all over? I don't think so... 

I am missing the social aspect of the office. We are quite isolated here, being DINKs. Oh well, it could be worse... 

Current mood: depressed

No comments: